Louisville Bridge Association
9870 Linn Station Road
Louisville, Kentucky 40223-3807
A Message from Our President
Thank you so much for your vote of confidence in electing me as your President for the next two years. I am humbled and will work very hard for the Louisville Bridge Association. We had our first Board of Directors meeting on Saturday, January 6th at 10 in the morning and I would like to share some of our discussions and thoughts.
Although I have big shoes to fill from Vangie"s departure as President, I believe with your help we can continue the improvements underway. With that said, I believe our focus this year is to improve what we have and make slight changes on items not working.
Club growth is always a challenge everywhere in the Bridge world. Tournament attendance is on the decline. We are getting older and the younger generations have so many other venues competing for their time and money. We have seen these results directly with the decline in attendance of our night games. So how do we reverse this trend? We discussed some ideas at the Board of Directors meeting.
- 1. Ride Sharing. We hear people every day say "I would play at night if I could get a ride" or, "I don't play at night because I don't drive well at night". To counter this problem, the Board of Directors wants to establish a ride sharing program. Bill Cook came up with this idea and discussed it with Beth Dlutowski who brought it up at the Board meeting. Judy Geralds volunteered to get is started. Our first task is to find drivers at night and Judy has already got signup sheets on the board. This idea could also carry over to the daytime. But we need your help to make it happen.
- 2. Another idea being kicked around is to establish a "Bring A Friend Day". We all know people that play "party bridge"at the country club or private homes. Let's introduce our club to new folks that play bridge. We have a bright and inviting environment for new players. We will discuss this more at our Feb Board meeting.
- 3. We want to visit private bridge games and invite them to come visit our club. We have a beautiful environment to play bridge, they can meet new people and take classes.
Education outreach continues: Norman Smith and Candi Conway continue lessons and play at Bates Elementary with the 4th graders. In the fall Candi and others will start a program at Norton Elementary at the principal"s request. The program at Manual High has fizzled out...just too much competition for the students'Itime. Vangie Smith and Kit Overpeck volunteered to try and get a club/lessons/game started at the collegiate level.
The Mentor/Mentee program has been a success in the past and we have received suggestions to expand the program. We will have further discussions at the February Board of Directors meeting.
Mathew Just continues his Tuesday evening free classes and game. Mauri Malka has her Beginners Classes stating Wednesday, January 31st. Verna Goldberg will start her Beginners and Intermediate classes in the Spring. These are exciting times to learn Bridge.
Facility improvements continue. This month we have already installed five new electrical outlets to meet the growing demands from the kitchen and playing area. We will be installing 4 new 2ft by 2ft LED ights along the wall. These changes are in addition to the three lights installed last year in the 299er area.
- 1. We have the "LBA" game every month of the year. These games are generally the 4th Tuesday evening of every month. In Nov and Dec, the LBA game is moved around to accommodate holidays. Bring a partner and enjoy the game.
- 2. February 16th, 17th and 18th the Louisville Bridge Association will host its first Sectional of the year. Get a partner and team and join in the fun. See the FLIERS at the club. Great opportunity to get your Silver Points.
- 3. Louisville will be hosting the District 11 GNT Qualifying Tournament this year Feb 24 and 25. The winning team in each stratification (Championship, A, B and C) will go to the Nationals in Atlanta and compete for the championship in each Strat. Saturdays event will be a Swiss Team format and Sundays game will be in a Knockout format. Get a team and come out and play. We will be hosting a two session Swiss Team event on Saturday, January 27 so members can get in some practice and become familiar with the format. Look for information at the club.
The Board of Directors job assignments are posted on our website. Please congratulate the new Board Members and ask how you can support It really does take a community to make this club work. I look forward to working with our talented Board members, and we will endeavor to make playing bridge fun for all members and guests.
I hope you have a GREAT 2018.
- Jonh A. Van Cleve
Welcome to Louisville Bridge Association
The Louisville Bridge Club, Unit 117, offers games every day and night except for Tuesday and Saturday evenings, when there are occasional special events. For more information call the bridge center, or the director for the game you prefer.
Thank you for all of the comments on the new LBA web site. They have been mostly very positive with a sprinkling of suggestions how we can make it better, and a few complaints about "things not quite working right on my system or device". For example, one problem seems to be with the dropdown menu on android phones. If that happens, try clicking here to get our Site Map. This will As you will note, not all of the links are currently active but will soon be on a staggered rollout effort. If you click on a link and nothing happens, just assume it is not yet active.
Finally, anyone who has news that would be of interest to the unit members please send it along to me, Bill or Vangie. This also includes singificant rank accomplishments, obituaries, tournament results, just about anything. Also, I am once again doing the Midwest Monitor for Unit117 so please send anything to go out there to me as soon as possible.
Frank Stewart is coming to the Louisville Bridge Center!!
On Saturday, April 7 at 10am, Frank Stewart is coming to Louisville.
Frank, a proud citizen of Fayette, Alabama, writes the most widely-read syndicated bridge columnist in the world, which appears in the Courier-Journal. He is a highly-respected expert and author (with over 20 best-selling books). In the 1980's he served as co-editor of the ACBL Bulletin and he contributes a popular monthly column for the magazine.
The main topic is Logical Thinking. Frank will talk for an hour on declarer play and an hour on defense with handouts. Then there will be a potluck lunch at the bridge center. Lunch is followed by the Saturday duplicate game with masterpoints awarded. There will be a drawing with all attendees included and Frank will play with the lucky winner. Then Frank will discuss the hands we played and answer questions about them.
Cost: $40 per person which includes the $7 duplicate fee. Proceeds will be donated to one of the charities Frank supports. Please contact Randy Baron or Verna Goldberg for more information.
Ireland Bridge Tour
From Randy Baron
I am finalizing plans for our 2nd annual IRISH BRIDGE HOLIDAY from June 29-July 13,2018. Twelve LBA players went last year and everyone had a memorable time. We still have a few openings for this journey. If you would like to stay in excellent hotels, see as much of Ireland as possible, listen to daily lectures, and play at 7 of the best clubs in the country, I hope you will join the group. My phone is 502-558-0627 and our website with the detailed 15 day/30 page itinerary with photos of where we are going is baronbridgetravel.com I'm always happy to answer questions about one of the world's most enjoyable and beautiful countries.
Drivers Wanted for Night Games
As many of you know, our night games have had declining numbers as our membership has aged and many working players have retired. Additionally, many of you would prefer not to drive at night.
Judy Geralds and the Board are going to try something new to help solve this problem. Judy has put a sign up sheet on the Bulletin Board. If you would be willing to pick someone up in the evening and take them home, please add your name.
Judy will then see who needs a ride and pair people up. Please help if you can.
Randy Baron & Verna Goldberg Teaching a Special 4 Week Course
Starting Tuesday, February 27, 3:00 TO 5:00, Verna Goldberg and Randy Baron will team up to teach a four week course on Tips on Improving Your Bridge. The cost for the four lessons is $50.00. Don't miss this opportunity to pick the brains of these two outstanding players.
Changes to the ACBL Rules of Bridge
The ACBL made some rule changes at their last Board of Directors meeting. The rule changes will take effect on January 1, 21018. To view a summary of the changes, click HERE.
A huge congratulations to Gary Peterson for becoming our most recent Emerald Life Master. To date, only a handful of people have achieved this status. It takes a lot of bridge to win 7500 masterpoints. He managed to do that and still have a good life.
Gary has not only had a long and great playing career, but also has faithfully served the LBA for many years in whatever capacity he was needed, including twice as President. He is very well liked and is kind and helpful to everyone.
Gary won the 1991 North American Swiss along with Keith Wilson, Dennis Hesthavem, Ralph Letizia and Ben Wheeler. He and Keith were the anchor pair on the final day and were rock solid. In fact, the NYT wrote about our win and featured a hand defended by Gary! It is still out there if you want to look it up.
Congratulations Gary - and may your path to Grand Life Master be short and sweet.